How to Report Fraud
To report any suspected fraud concerning your Independence Bank accounts, call us at 401-886-4600 or call the phone number on the back of your monthly statement.
Attach any suspicious emails you may receive to a new email and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Then, be sure to delete the suspicious emails from your mailbox.
When We Will Contact You About Fraud
Independence Bank has systems in place to detect unusual patterns of activity which could indicate fraud on your accounts. We may contact you to verify your activity. The number we provide you can be verified by you independently and we will also verify your identity at the outset of the call.At no time will you receive a call or email from the bank asking you for your login credentials. If you receive a suspicious phone call or email asking for your authentication credentials you should decline to do so and call us at 401-886-4600.
What to do if You Become a Victim of Identity Theft
If you become a victim of identity theft, we recommend that you:
- Close any affected account(s) and open new account(s)
- Place a fraud alert on your credit file by contacting one of the three nationwide consumer reporting agencies listed below.
Equifax Consumer Fraud Division
Fraud Victim Assistance Division
- File a police report with local law enforcement.
- We also recommend you report suspected identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission. You can call 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338); TTY: 1-866-653-4261; write Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580; or submit a complaint online by visiting the Federal Trade Commission's website.
- Order your free annual credit reports from the three nationwide consumer reporting agencies online and review them carefully.